Saturday, March 14, 2020

I Have A Fig, Fig Problem

So...nearly one year ago, I was walking into our local grocery store, and a woman was rushing out with the loveliest plant.

She was full-on hustling like she’d stolen the dang thing, or couldn’t believe her luck and was trying to make a sneaky getaway.

And when I commented on her lovely, leafy friend, she was more than willing to spill the goods and tell me I just had to snatch one up because all they’re all the rage for indoor plants, and all the HGTV shows utilize them in their decor, and the prices were a steal (all her effusive words).

I mean, color me SOLD. :)

It turns out, every year around this time, our grocery store gets a supply of these gorgeous FIG trees, that are happy, healthy, not tiny, and only cost $12! And little did I know that day, when I brought one home (and then went back the next day for another), that it would be the start of a brand-new, and forever love affair with indoor plants.

Prior to this move, the hubby sort of felt the same way about indoor plants as he did about curtains. He thought they were unnecessary. Boooo.

Well.

If anybody’s seen our obnoxious and fabulous living room and kitchen curtains these days, and heard the hubby heartily agree about their awesomeness, they’ll know that I changed his mind.

About the curtains and the plants. ;)

And those figs I bought that fateful day (or two) nearly a year ago (when our house was still wildly unfinished and chaotic) are thriving.

Turns out, I’m a decent plant Mama. And those figs have been joined by three very happy pothos plants, an adorable little money tree, and a few other odds and ends of leafy buddies. All alive and pretty content.

So...because I’ve proven that I won’t let them wither away, and because it was—gasp! So excited!—FIG DAY at the grocery store today, I was allowed to bring home yet another new buddy. This time for upstairs.





It’s seriously so surprising to me how much joy these houseplants have brought me, when I never really contemplated them before. I think the figs make me so dang delighted because they pop so well in our colorful living room, against our marigold curtains. I mean, every time they sprout a new leaf, I commemorate with a pic and a party. ;)



I just love having them linger in the background of al my pictures...



I just raised the loft on this one yesterday...



And also, can we just talk about how fun it is to find planters that make the heart happy?? I have a few of these gold and black beauties, and I love the other woven ones for the figs. Just another lovely punch of decorating.



In other plant news...since I’ve spent the past few days doing yard work and just tidied up the porch, it was time for something happy there for Spring, and Chica adores hibiscus (that she used to call hibiscuits when she was a toddler—I die), so that’s what we brought home.



Oh, and look at all these happy plants in this flower bed I just cleaned up! I planted all these late last Spring, and look how happy they are. :)



Amidst all these germs and worries, it’s so nice to think about something thriving and oxygenating our air, yes??

So...long live FIGS!

The hubby had magnanimously agreed to let me bring one final one home tomorrow...if they’re not all sold out. He’s a good egg and knows that $12 will bring me a lot o’ joy. :)

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment