Monday, January 23, 2023

Jungle Paint by (Detailed!) Numbers

Okay, peeps.

It was a SOLID and productive Monday, which feels kind of rare around these parts. Let me count the ways…

Chica had an early morning orthodontist appointment that marked the temporary end to this latest round of oral surgery/retainer placeholder situation. She now has what looks like another expander/retainer in the roof of her mouth, and though it’s more than I expected to be installed, she handled it like a champ. Next stop…braces (probably toward the end of this calendar year).

I got my favorite coffee immediately after getting her to school. Yuuuuum.

I was able to hunker down at home for a couple of hours and get loads done.

I’m wildly obsessed with a new plug-in fragrance I’ve found, which makes the scent at home that much lovelier. 

None of the kiddos had meltdowns after school.

The homework was manageable.

The kitchen was clean, and dinner was in the instant pot early.

Which means…

We got to do a project!



After the mad-dash of our attempted 12 Days of Christmas Projects, we haven’t managed to make the time for any! Too many other things have crept into our schedule, of late.

But today, my peeps, was the day! I’ve learned to capitalize on these opportunities when we can. ;)

In anticipation of a small window of time (and thanks to a friend’s painting birthday party Chica attended this weekend, reminding me of how much we enjoy this particular activity), I purchased a fun, four-canvas kit from Tar-Jay.

Alas…I didn’t realize how freaking detailed these canvases were! I mean…the minutiae. OYE. You’d need a toothpick to properly achieve this level of intricacy!



So…I gave the kiddos a major preemptive lecture before we began and stated very strongly that this was for fun, and not for pouting or beating ourselves up if we couldn’t stay within the lines or achieve the unachievable. My little artists have a tendency to be perfectionists at times, ha.

Luckily, the lecture set the perfect tone, we put on some music and rocked out while we spent a solid hour at the kitchen table together, bemoaning the difficulty, but enjoying the challenge. :)




My free-spirited Chicklet was the first to throw in the towel and go rogue with an artistic expression of her own, ha. But thanks to all the fun colors that came with the kit, I lurv how it turned out. 



And Little Man—typically the most devoted perfectionist—surprised me with his great attitude and enjoyment of the process. :)





I had a leaf-based canvas for my particular artwork, and I did my best to wrap it up before dinner—though it wasn’t as crisp as I would have hoped (the artwork, not the dinner, ha). Still coolio, though. :)



And this was Chica’s beautiful work-in-progress. :)



Obviously, it will take a bit more time for everyone to wrap up their artwork. But it was a really lovely diversion on a fortunate, chill Monday.

In other news…today marked the 100th day of school!





I’m not gonna lie…I feel like I should appreciate this milestone just as much as the kiddos.

100 days of dark morning wake-ups.

100 days of school lunches.

100 days of homework (I mean…seriously) and meltdowns and special projects and assignments.

The struggle is real, ha.




But I’m happy for thriving, growing kiddos, and a springtime that’s kinda-sorta on the distant horizon.

Happy Monday, peeps!

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment