Monday, July 17, 2023

The Final Harry

Okay, peeps.

We’ve still got a few weeks left of summer break, so I’m not ready to tackle any kind of Best Of or official recap, yet.

But I do know that it’s safe to say this has been a summer of major reading—for our household, in general, and Chica, in particular.

I’ll share more later, but yesterday, Chica finished the ninth and final (for now) book in this series she ADORED.

For timing reference, the boxed set of the first few books in the series was delivered on June 3rd. Then Chica basically spent five straight weeks reading these books that each averaged about 700-ish pages and she was obsessed.

As a book lover myself, it was the best, best thing to watch. I was a proud Mama bear, for sure. And I loved hearing all of the plot twists and turns and really fun events Chica loved to share with me.

As a bonus, during this past five weeks or so, I’m astounded to report that Chica hasn’t touched her iPad.

And when I say she hasn’t touched her iPad, I mean, she literally has not even booted the thing up.

It’s been wild.

I’ve never been so happy to see one of my kiddos absolutely immersed in the world of a book series, and I hope there will be so many reading summers in Chica’s future. 

The only problem: I knew the end of the series would hit her hard. My beloved firstborn has too many of my reading traits, and feeling forlorn over the ending of a beloved book series is definitely one of them.

I did all that I could to be ready with a new series for her, to help ease the pain. But she’s just not ready to move on, and I totally understand that feeling.

In the meantime, when she just looked at me yesterday with those giant puppy dog brown eyes of hers, all sad and at loose ends, I knew there was only one thing to help: a bit of bedtime Harry reading. :)

To ease her transition and divert her mind for just a day or so, we jumped right in to the seventh and FINAL book of the series, and it’s just an absolute joy to be at this incredible stage.



As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve offered to send Chica off with the book by herself, and she’d probably have it finished in a few days, but…she wants to finish it as we began: reading out loud, together. And even though it will likely take us months and months, I can’t argue against that time together!

So…more milestone Harry reading is afoot!



Additionally…I’m kind of happy to report that, this evening, Chica decided to start her beloved series (the one she just completed) all over from the very beginning. It’s the kind of thing I do when I’m just not ready to let a book go, yet, so I fully support this second go-around, ha.

Hopefully, it will let her linger for a bit longer until she’s ready to find a new series to love.

And in the meantime, Harry will help. :) ALWAYS.

More in a later post about alllllll the series the kiddos have been enjoying this summer. We’ve had several winners and it’s kept the household happy.

Happy Monday, peeps!

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment